We have been getting lot’s of questions from our first-time CrossFit competitors on what to eat this Saturday for their Girls Gone RX Competition! Anna the Rhino Nutritionist was happy to answer:
From Anna the Rhino Nutritionist:
What do we eat when we are competing in a competition, with four WODs in a matter of six hours?
This is a great question! And if this is what you’re asking yourself about the Girls Gone Rx competition tomorrow, your head is in the right place!
Let’s talk quickly about pre-competition and during-competition nutrition!
2 to 3 hours before your first workout, you want a meal that has a good mix of your main nutrients:
– A few ounces of protein (eggs, bacon, chicken)
– A cupped handful of carb-dense foods (steel cut oats, sweet potatoes, berries, banana)
– A handful of vegetables (spinach, cauliflower, peppers)
– A small serving of fat (nuts, nut butters, avocado, coconut oil)
Between workouts the main focus will be on replenishing energy with protein and carbohydrates:
– 15g protein
– 30-40g carbohydrates
This could look like…
– 1 no-sugar added meat stick (Chomp from Trader Joe’s) + 1 medium banana + 2 Tbsp. peanut butter
– 1 container Oikos Plain Greek yogurt + 1 apple + 1/2 cup blueberries
– 1 Horizon Organic chocolate milk (8 oz. pkg) + Original Skinny Pop (1 oz. bag)
– 1 cup edamame + 3/4 cup strawberries
These are just examples of snack combinations that will give you what you’re looking for between workouts. You’ll want to eat immediately following exercise completion to allow for maximum digestion before your next workout.
The final component to keeping your body in prime condition for competition is HYDRATION!
Since performance can decrease by 20% in a dehydrated state, replacing fluid loss (via sweat and urination) is very important!
– Eat a variety of nutrients at the beginning of the day
– Replenish protein and carbohydrates between workouts
– Drink plenty of water consistently throughout the day
Good luck to all the ladies in tomorrow’s competition — Camp Rhino is proud to have you represent!
Anna is launching a brand new Nutrition Program from HSN and is currently accepting new nutrition clients who want accountability and custom meal plans! Email her at firstname.lastname@example.org